Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Coffee, Conversation & Causes.

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of meeting up with my friend, Laura, for Coffee. There is not much better in life than grabbing a good cup of coffee and catching up with dear friends. I am a sucker for good conversation. It was by far the highlight of my day.


I was so excited when we agreed to meet up at RedEye [formerly known as The Coffee Pub] in midtown. I literally have only been there once since I have moved back to Tallahassee, so walking inside brought back some quality memories. One of my favorite things to do in college was pile into a car, go to The Coffee Pub and grab some coffee, or go to Luna's to buy some gelato and then head over to Fingers & Toes [which sadly no longer exists] for an hour of sheer pedicure bliss. {Excuse the detour down memory lane... now back to coffee shops}.





Over the past couple of months, I've come to realize how much I love coffee shops. I love how they have become a place where people can gather and re-connect. Life has become so consumed with technology and social media that I have learned to treasure the times where you can sit down face to face and have a good chat.

Many coffee shops also contribute to a good cause. I have such a heart for those nearby in America and afar in developing countries who are suffering in poverty. I have such admiration for those who are working hard to support their families and make ends meet, especially during these tough economic times. Which is why my heart fills with joy when I find a coffee shop that serves local and fair trade coffee. When you buy fair trade products you are assisting producers in developing countries by allowing them to obtain better trading conditions and helping them to receive their fair share of the profits earned by cutting out the middle man.



When I was in Charlotte, my friend Liz introduced Stuart and I to Julia's Coffee & Books. It exists to to support Habitat for Humanity, but also to create a place where the community can get a sustainable, conscientious cup of delicious coffee. It also has a used book store which we roamed for almost an hour. Attached to the coffee shop was ReStore, which is where you can find used furniture that is begging to be refinished and placed in a forever home. That's right- a coffee shop actually exists where you can catch up with good friends, buy coffee for a cause, find a good book and buy discounted furniture for cute DIY projects. Talk about heaven.

1 comments:

adrienne jane said...

I am so sad fingers & toes closed down! :( best pedicure spot in t-town...

 

Taylor Owens | © 2010 Taylor Owens, All rights reserved