Over the last week I've heard many people announce their new years resolutions and hopes to make 2011 a year of change. I've also learned of a scientific study that said many people get mental gratification just by talking about our goals without actually doing the work.
So in an attempt to avoid another new year resolution failure, I've decided that rather than setting an unattainable goal and announcing it before the world, I am going to spend this year focusing on the things that used to make me happy. Somehow in the midst of "growing up" these things have been placed on the back burner while I've tried to figure out where life is taking me, and while I am nowhere closer to figuring that out, I am realizing I need to re-focus on the little things such as:
Reading: Once upon a time there was a day that I could not fall asleep without reading a good book. Now that I am no longer being forced to read boring text books, I want to start reading things I enjoy again.
Writing: Growing up I could always write so freely and it was such a great way to express myself. But between writing term papers and learning to write in business mode I've lost that. In the real world I've been taught to be concise when I write and now I don't even remember how to do otherwise. That's where I'm hoping blogging will come into the picture.
Culture: I pretty much live for this. When I was young and living overseas, I always told my family that I wanted to be the girl on the travel channel who explores new cities and reviews hotels, restaurants and other attractions. To be honest this is still what I would love to do, but I couldn't quite figure out what you should major in college to make a career out of it. In Europe, I was surrounded by culture and charm everywhere, and now that I am in America I always try to find fun places to explore. Traveling and exploring makes me happier more than anything else in the world.
This year presents a year of hope and new beginnings. I am always searching for what is to come rather than enjoying the present. So this year I am going to try my best to focus on what's before me and try to make each day great. Here's to finding daily contentment and happiness in 2011.
7 Easy Ideas for a Spooky Fun Halloween Party
4 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment