Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Day in Thomasville.

This year I wanted to do something special to celebrate my birthday. Since my birthday is on a Wednesday this year, Stuart and I decided to start celebrating a little early this weekend with a daytrip to Thomasville. Now don't be fooled, Thomasville is nowhere near far from Tallahassee. It's only 40 minutes from our house and it's one of those small towns I think I have driven through once or twice but have never actually paid a visit. I am so glad we decided to spend the afternoon there. It was a breath of fresh air to my foodie soul. Nothing makes me happier than finding new restaurants, cafes and bakeries.

First we had lunch at Jonah's. This may seem like a surprising choice, because I actually don't like seafood [gasp, I know!]. We decided to try it because everyone has raved about it, PLUS it was in Southern Living, so why not? We are happy to report it definitely lived up to the hype! For any fellow seafood haters out there - I had the Fire Roasted Chicken Sandwich and it was amazing.



Then we worked our way up and down Broad Street to check out all the little boutiques there. One of our favorites was this local book store. It described everything we planned to do that day. Read. Relax. Explore.




We stopped at Sweet Grass Dairy Cheese Shop where they had a wine and cheese tasting. I loved how rustic it was in there. It almost reminded me of being in Napa Valley. So crazy considering I was only 40 mins from Tallahassee! They had tons of breads and olive oils for tasting as well. This place made my heart smile in a big way.





At the end of the day we stopped at Grassroots Coffee for some warm drinks, relaxation and reading. I love this place because they roast their own coffee right there in downtown Thomasville, plus their whole mantra is "Drink Fresh. Drink Local." which I love.





Stuart also bought me these bracelets for my Birthday. They were a pretty good steal I figured I could not live without so he was gracious enough to give me an early present.




We wrapped up our day with a walk around the lake at Southwood. I love my neighborhood. Talk about the perfect day.




Can't wait to celebrate the real deal on Wednesday. I have a feeling 25 is going to be a great year.

0 comments:

 

Taylor Owens | © 2010 Taylor Owens, All rights reserved